Thursday, April 16, 2015

What Jimmy Fallon Taught Me About Love



A friend and I were chatting today. We were discussing cable and the perks of our new sling tv. If you don't know about it, it's a service that for $20 a month lets you stream live tv, and the channels that are usually premier on any cable service. Not joking. HGTV and Travel Channel? Sign me up.

My friend mentioned that he likes to catch Conan live. The first thought that popped into my head was 'I used to love Conan O'Brien but then Jimmy Fallon came along.'

You guys, God can speak to you any which way He pleases. Here in the middle of this absurd thought I had a great revelation.

At a changing season in my life, I fell in love with the red-headed dorky comedian. The way he could cut those invisible strings holding him up while he danced to the beat of Max Weinberg's drum still make me laugh to this day. There are just certain things. I didn't think I could ever love another late night host. When there was a battle between Jay Leno and Conan I was #TeamCoco. No one could replace Conan O'Brien. I refused to believe there was anything better out there because I only knew what had been out there so far. When Conan was moved to cable tv, I was heart broken and angry.

I don't remember how long it was before a new guy came on the screen. But all I know is once I was introduced to Jimmy Fallon I found love again. I didn't think I could love a late night host more than Conan, but I was wrong. You guys, Jimmy gets me.




Jimmy surrounds himself with the best of friends. You can tell they really care about each other. He likes to have fun. He sings and laughs with his guests. He plays games. Yet he's still humble. He's sincere and honest and he's always got something new up his sleeve. He's entertaining and always makes me laugh. He doesn't take himself too seriously but knows when it's needed. Also, he's got a pretty rad back up band, doesn't he?! 

So what the heck does this all mean? It means that even though my heart is broken and hurt and sad for what I lost, I have no idea what else is out there. I don't realize that I am capable of loving someone more than I did. In my heart it seems impossible that anything could ever compare to the love that I had for this guy. But God gently whispers, You once felt that way about Conan. Then came along a new man and he swept you off your late night show's feet. It can happen again.

Conan and I shared a lot of laughs and good times. He comforted me through some hard times and made me laugh when I wanted to cry. But that was a season of my life that is meant to be just that. Conan still stays in my heart and no network move can ever take him away. What we had will always be special even if Conan didn't realize it like I did. Will I occasionally have a chance to catch up with Conan? Sure. Will he be my life-long late night guy? Not anymore. It's just not meant to be. 

All this crazy talk to say, God has a plan. It's more than I can think or imagine and I know it's true because my late night show history tells me that. So here's hoping for the guy I haven't met yet. May I love him as much as I love Jimmy Fallon.



Also, if you want more Jimmy Fallon revelations, Annie Downs wrote a blog post months ago that comforted this single girls heart. Check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment