Monday, June 16, 2014

Just Wait



Just a brief little observation today, friends.

Lately I've been challenged by God to wait on Him. While there are obvious parts of my life I have applied this to, He's also surprised me with parts I didn't expect.

I'm beginning to learn how exciting it can be to wait on God. The bible says to ask, expecting that you will receive an answer. To wait and worry at the same time can be considered signs of a double minded person. You either trust that God is going to come through or you don't. If you trust, expect an answer.

But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways. - James 1:6-7

So we ask and believe we'll receive a response. God will answer. Don't believe me, start journaling. Write down the things you pray to God and go back and see how He has answered. If you're like me, you'll find sometimes you received answers and didn't even remember it had been a prayer request at all.

Doing this has really grown my faith. It's easy to "think" God hasn't responded. But when it's here, in your own writing, your request....and you sit here months later looking back at the things you asked, you can't deny the spots where He has answered.

But wait, there's more... (I crack myself up, does anyone else laugh at these cheese ball puns?!)

Not waiting for God robs Him of the opportunity to surprise you.

This is what I realized today. I couldn't help but marvel at how God would take something I've really struggled with and show me how it can apply to something simple and light hearted as well. If I expect God will come through for me and believe it no matter what, then there's no reason for me to move before He does.

I'm not denying that there are times you need to move. I believe God will make sure you are aware of it, too. I'm specifically talking about waiting. In every aspect of the word. Maybe it's waiting for a duration of time, waiting for an answer, waiting for a breakthrough. Since I have felt challenged to wait, He came through and showed me today how I can and should be able to apply that in everyday instances as well.

To wait expectantly on God ignites a sense of curiosity. It removes the need to be in control. I reached out to someone today who said they were actually going to reach out to me today as well. I just beat them to it. Had I been patient and waited, I would have been pleasantly surprised. God knows I doubt if people really think of me or if it's simply because I've jumped the gun and reached out to them first.

When you think about it, wouldn't it be exciting to just wait for God to orchestrate things? I know He's the professional, I'm just a clumsy stagehand. I want to see Him at work. I want to look at this beautiful production of life and know that it wasn't because I tried to make things work myself. Instead, it's because God is amazing at what He does.

I love surprises. I love knowing that someone took the time to put something together specifically with me in mind. Waiting on God let's Him surprise me. I'm not peeking under the gift wrap or shaking the box. I never liked trying to guess my gifts. I don't want to know. So why should life be any different? This life is a gift.

I know I have a tendency to be impatient. If things seem to be taking too long, I try to speed it up. If someone isn't getting back to me right away, I contact them again. If God "isn't doing anything", then I do something.

What I learned today is such a blessing. There's so much talk about the Lord doing work through you. Yet perhaps, when the Lord is telling you to be still and wait, it's because He wants to do something for you.

Therefore the Lord will wait, that He may be gracious to you;
And therefore He will be exalted - Isaiah 30:18

In order for God to receive glory, we need to stop moving ahead of Him.
Just be still and wait on the Lord.

Love,
S

1 comment:

  1. Oh friend, I love that we are getting to know one another better because I feel like it helps me to understand even more fully what you write, and I love it! No matter what happens in this season of waiting and no matter what the outcome is, I believe that God is going to reward you with blessing as you keep your trust on Him. Because you are absolutely right, we either trust Him or we don't.

    Thanks for sharing. This is exactly what I needed to hear as I approach my own season of waiting right now.

    ReplyDelete